Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Back to babes, Danish style?

It's been a while since I have addressed the "babes" aspect of my blog. Well, there in fact are women in Denmark, and the other night I had my first experience in a European lesbian bar, so here we go!

For the Smith College students reading this, no, this bar was nothing like Divas (the one club in Northampton which also has drag night on Wednesdays and is very popular with some of the Smith population) Vela, the one mainly lesbian bar in Copenhagen, had some key differences from Divas...
  • There were no flat brimmed caps
  • No drag queens performing to Britney spears and having dollar bills thrown at them
  • No bouncers peering constantly at the hands of those underaged having their black X's wiped off
  • No awkward UMass hetero couples standing on boxes and grinding in long lines
  • And getting a number is much harder when names and numbers are said with a Danish accent

However, as I have previously argued, there are certain universal signals between women who dig women, which is true even all the way over here in Scandanavia:

  • The lesbian look. As I always try to point out to non-believers, there is a distinct look that lesbians give each other when passing in public. Kind of like a- yeah I see you, I know we play for the same team- kind of look. Although, since it was a lesbian bar, this look was of course turned into the more direct kind of look showing interest and curiosity as opposed to solely an acknowledgement.
  • It pays to have short hair. I suppose its a universal lesbian green light? Having short hair and looking confident seem to be productive characteristics, not only at Smith, but also here in Copenhagen.

Well, the first experience at Vela was pretty nerve racking and overwhelming, so these were the brief observations I came away with. I will do my best to continue bringing you, my wonderful readers, insight into the world of Danish babes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Analytics