Thursday, June 23, 2011

The New Vodka

Sorry it's been a little while, everyone. Distracted from the world of blogging. But now, I'm back! No worries.

Today's topic, Gin is the new vodka! Did I hear a few gasps? Disgruntled "hmphs"? Well, I'll explain. I will say, off the bat, that part of my reasoning behind this assertion is due to my father, who I give much credit to who I am today. If any of you have had the pleasure of meeting him and hearing some of his stories of who he is and some of the things he has done- you will understand me much, much better. Anyway! My father is a gin man. Always has been. I have heard his drink order, "gin on the rocks," probably more than any other order at a bar or restaurant in my entire life because of how loyal he is to his preference. I always wondered what it was about gin that he was so hooked on, but after my fall semester at SC drinking only $12 bottles of Poland Spring gin, my mind began to broaden into understanding.

First of all, cheap gin is a hell of a lot easier to drink than cheap vodka. Cheap vodka burns and sucks away at your soul, while cheap gin kind of just tastes like funky water- but a little tastier, if you ask me.

Secondly, expensive gin is a hell of a lot classier than expensive vodka. Yeah, yeah Grey Goose has it the name recognition for expensive, tasty booze, but there are a lot of delicious gins out there. I'd also argue that there are more recognizable expensive gins than vodkas. Mostly because, let's be honest, who really ever wants a vodka on the rocks? Ew. Put it in a delicious mixed drink or suck it down in a shot glass- I don't want to sip it.

Thirdly, I feel like everyone's first year of college all they do is do vodka shots. Svedka or Smirnoff probably? But then you have that night where you do a vodka shot and realize you want to kill yourself. Hm! Need another clear booze option? Time for gin. Now, I do not recommend doing shots of gin. But I do recommend them for tonic and other mixed drinks.

So, keep my martini classic with gin, please. And put a lime in my gin and tonic, and I'm happy.

I just realized this would have been a great post for my upcoming birthday, but now it's written so it's coming early!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Analytics